View Single Post
Old 6th January 2012, 05:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I did watch it with the Ben and Amy commentary straight after viewing the film to try and understand more but found Wheatley not forth coming, him saying "I understand it" and not answering his wife's question about the masks just left me more annoyed. Personally I feel he may have stripped too much away, though the idea of two occult groups battling it out sounded pretty crap to me so I am glad he stripped back the plot that way. It's one of the best commentaries I've heard since "The Naked Witch" and "Valhalla Rising". I'll give the actors one a go soon.

Anyway, as me original post stated I was only unsure of the ending after watching the film, during it I was totally with the plot and ending, perhaps I didn't make that clear.

@Reaps, loved the violence, there was something very satisfying about the realism of it that is lacking in a lot of modern horror films.
Haha - I guess I'm just a fan of total ambiguity, or simply like the ending of the film.
Maybe Lynch does it best by refusing to do commentaries therefore not riling folks who want some clarity.

I'm wondering if the whole ending sequence was some kind of catharsis for Wheatley, you know, to confront those nightmares that he had about being chased by naked pagans!

If you enjoyed the Valhalla Rising commentary I'm sure you'd enjoy the Bronson one too.
Refn's commentaries are all top drawer and his Fear X one basically provides all of the questions to the mysteries of the film, which pissed me off at first, but then in retrospect I fully appreciated the fact that he wasn't precious about the ambiguities on offer in his film. It's also the film that made him bankrupt so maybe the commentary was his catharsis?

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage