View Single Post
Old 7th January 2012, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
In the current climate, when (apparently) the only titles that sell in huge numbers are the latest blockbusters, small companies tend to release stuff that has sold before, instead of taking a chance on a film that's never been released before, and maybe selling a few hundred copies against a thousand copies of a well known title. It's all about making money unfortunately. Sad, but true I'm afraid.
Whilst I understand that mindset and playing it safe, but if you're selling a product that's already had a wide DVD/BD release, then surely you've already lost a fair chunk of that market share? To be brutally frank, all the Shameless titles released that I already have on DVD weren't bought by me. That's one lost sale right there. However, I have bought stuff that hasn't had a wide release - Ratman, Phantom of Death etc. The others? Well, I already have them on very good DVDs from the likes of BU, AB etc. Why would I buy them again?

So, I guess my point is this: why sell something that many people have already? That's not really good business sense. I imagine that the Shameless DVDs have done relatively well, but how much better would they have done if they weren't previously released titles?

Saying all that, I'm all for improved releases of key titles. I have upgraded DVDs for that reason.