View Single Post
Old 19th January 2012, 02:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Watched Tenebrae twice over the past 24 hours - second with the Newman/Jones commentary. Firstly - what was the deal with all this foaming at the mouth over Arrows blu ray? Looks fine to me, 2 commentaries and loads of other stuff - currently 8.99 - if you're swithering just get it and ignore all the screen shot fetishists. Movie is totally ludicrous but highly enjoyable - the commentary was a great accompaniment - these guys love the film but aren't slow to point out each absurdity. That's the key to enjoying Argento I think - throw logic out the window, forget it, and just enjoy the ride. I do wish Alan Jones would stop going on about himself though - you're Dario's close mate, you've visited every set, you've written the definitive book - I GET IT, please stick to talking about the movie.
I agree, I understand the complaints as there are definate mistakes that have been made with the transfer, but I think as with most arrow products there has been somewhat of an overreaction. If the detractors want to see a genuinley bad job done on a hi-def transfer check out media blasters output.

I do feel screencaps are not an ideal way to demonstrate PQ and some of the hyperbole over the arrow transfers can make it hard for the average punter to discern whats mearly an unsatisfactory transfer from a genuinely bad one when the slightest issue causes some reviewers to react like they have been raped. When tenebrae gets picked up again a few years down the road and re-issued in a better transfer i'll probably pick it up but for now the 8.99 release will do me fine, especially since i'm watching the dammned thing through my ps3 on a 32" telly.

That said, check out any of the new redemption jean rollin blu-rays. As i've said elswhere, they stand proudly next to midnight legacy's alien 2 as a benchmark on how to present these older classics on hi-def.