View Single Post
Old 21st January 2012, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I agree - I prefer Monster over Curse. Monster took a couple of episodes to get going, but when it did, it was very good.

Just got through Mannequin Mania boxset - I had forgotten how good a story Spearhead from Space was, particularly as everything really kicks off in the last episode and there really is not that much Pertwee. But pacing-wise, it was strong and there was no sense of drag. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for Terror of the Autons - it was my first time watching this and I was disappointed. It was still a good story, but I thought the Master and the Autons would make an unbeatable combination; the Master was still very good, but the Autons did not seem effective here as in the previous story. Plus, it reminded me why Pertwee's Doctor can get on my nerves- he can be pretty unpleasant at times; the difference between his introduction to Liz and Jo is stark. But one thing that is consistent in Pertwee's performances out of the stories I have seen is the effect that his exile on Earth has on his character - on Earth, he can be tetchy and rude, while at liberty he can be quite charming and pleasant.
I think it was supposed to be that way for the Doctor and Jo, the characters grow on each other and by her final scenes in The Green Death the Doctor is absolutely heartbroken by her leaving.

I finished the final episode of Day of the Daleks last weekend.

The additional effects and extra scenes really made the battle seem a grander affair, and pretty exciting. The story always seemed wrong with just the three Daleks during the battle.

I heartily recommend this to readers, especially fans of the revamped series who don't bother with the classic stories, as it could easily have been shown in any of the six series so far, and is ten times more fun than Daleks in Manhattan.

Started on Snakedance last night, after one episode it is not a patch on Kinda, yet is still pretty interesting. Great to see Hammer regular John Carson in the show.