View Single Post
Old 28th January 2012, 07:10 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I'm off work sick, so today I've watched two BD's I've been meaning to get round to.

First up, Al Reinert's majestic For All Mankind (MoC) - An incredible film, some of the imagery in it was so beautiful that at one point I felt tears welling up. Space, eh? What a place.

After a visit from postie with my Neo Giallo Collection (£5.79! Still can't believe it!), I lined up my second film of the day, which was Gore Vidal/Tinto Brass/Bob Guccione's Caligula (Arrow Video). To be honest, it was a bit of a turd. Peter O'Toole wanders round chewing up the scenery, Malcolm McDowell alternates between skipping round like Alan Carr and acting in a full length version of Alex DeLarge's sickbed fantasy and the whole thing looks like the DP dipped his camera in one of the numerous tubs of KY Jelly laying around before rolling. In case you haven't realised, I wasn't a fan.
Confession time - Caligula is my favourite guilty pleasure - I just love the sheer grandiosity of it - it actually evokes the madness of Rome in its epic folly. Be sure to listen to the Malcolm McDowell commentary which is one of the best I've ever heard - what a brilliant raconteur this guy is. His Tinto Brass/John Geilgud impressions are worth the price of the disc on their own, seriously.