View Single Post
Old 31st January 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Ignoring dual format releases, I don't see many companies putting effort into packaging when it comes to DVD anymore: Look at how many exclusive steelbook/slipcover BDs there are on Amazon, HMV, Play etc Vs. DVD equivalents.

The majority of collectors are hungry for the next biggest and better thing, so therefore move with the technology of the times. There is simply not enough of a market for deluxe packaged DVDs anymore.

If you're buying a release for collectability or pretty packaging nowadays, then Blu-ray is the way to go; if you're buying it purely for the film, then you have a choice depending on your set-up/preference/budget.

Thanks goodness for companies like Arrow and Shameless, I say. Even Arrowdrome (which is considered a budget range), has obviously had more care and effort put in to it as a range than the majority of new DVDs released nowadays.

The flip-side of the coin being, that for this excess and care comes smaller profits, and in these tough economic times something has to give somewhere along the line.
Just wanted to reiterate this by quoting it really. While the re-release of Arrow Video titles on Arrowdrome doesn't interest me, the re-release of previous Arrow Films dvds/new films does and in this sense it's such a great range. Being able to buy a film like The Cheerleaders and it's sequel with a reversible cover and a booklet for £5.99 is a very impressive feat and shows that, while the Arrow Video dvd releases may now be lacking compared to before the company still have a high regard for dvd and those who buy it through the Arrowdrome label