View Single Post
Old 7th February 2012, 07:05 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
I was joking. I use to draw all the time, (and started out before computers took over, and use to do anything by hand, when I was doing flyers back in the day.) so appreciate a painting/drawing can take so much more time and effort than a photo montage.

Yet I still don't think that means an illustrated cover is more worthy than a photo montage, they either work or they don't.

I agree that Photoshop has killed a lot of the creativity of poster art/covers, yet for me the photo collages/graphic design work featured on Japanese posters/press kits of the 70's or 80's are just as amazing as the painted posters/covers of the time.
Sorry Beyond, of course you were joking. I'm new to this forum thing and haven't sussed out all these little faces yet! I don't care for photo montages because nowadays we all have access to the images and they're relatively easy to put together. To be honest even oil painted montages are easy. Bumnumbingly boring to work on but easy! My favourite poster artists from the 80's all used skill and imagination to create one single kickass scene. Undoubtedly the best came from Graham Humphreys, he was the king. Still is! You are right about those Japanese posters, things of absolute beauty. Also, there are tremendous posters put together today by talented photographers. I was referring to those DVD covers that are simply made up from predictable old film stills. Start painting again! There has never been a better time to be a traditional poster artist, mainly because most of the good ones are dead!