View Single Post
Old 12th February 2012, 04:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Finally got round to watching the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street last night. I went in with low expectations and a fairly open mind (honest!) but this was far worse than I ever could have expected. AWFUL cgi (especially the bit where Freddy comes through the wall), totally pointless bits from the original pasted in and the apparently ambiguous is ''he/isn't he a child molestor?'' bit came out of nowhere with people just assuming the parents were wrong, even though in a previous scene he'd told Nancy she was his 'favourite' as he licked her face! Dreadful.

I also hated how the parents only reacted the way they did to Freddy because they were personally affected by him. It was much better in the original when they acted out of a misguided sense of parental duty with no direct emotional link to Freddy's actions.

It looked as if it was shot with a view to post-convert it to 3D - a lot of the shots were done with things pointing towards the camera (the bit with Freddys garden tool in the soil and the shot of the mother getting killed through the mirror) which was also off-putting at times.

Overall: a colossal stinker.