View Single Post
Old 13th February 2012, 03:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I saw The Resident last night.

My overall thought is the film is not bad, certainly watchable and entertaining. The leads, Hilary Swank, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Christopher Lee all came across well, perhaps too well in the case of Morgan who didn't really seem vile enough to be the villain of the piece.

However it reminded me of two other films, firstly 2004's Toolbox Murders, mainly due to it being set in a rundown apartment building that was being refurbished and secondly that a fair bit of the action took place in the crawl spaces between apartments, not to mention the final nail gun violence.

Secondly, due to its storyline of a woman who moves into a new building and ends up being spied upon by another resident it used many ideas from the Sharon Stone film Sliver.

Unfortunately for The Resident both the mentioned films are edgier and creepier than it. I don't know if it was down to its 15 certificate but The Resident really lacked the sleaziness that its subject matter conveys.

It's fine to while away the time, but really should have had more bite to it.

I liked The Resident. A lot. I wasn't expecting such a hackneyed premise to be so gripping or enjoyable.

I also think that Sliver is a bloody awful film and nowhere near the quality of The Resident.

I also enjoyed learning that Hilary Swank has her pubes sculpted into a perfect landing strip.