View Single Post
Old 14th February 2012, 09:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Lynch has always been my favourite, I've his films countless times and I'II fight anyone to the death who says Fire Walk With Me is shit (Sheryl Lee won the Oscar that year, no contest) - anyway, re Lost Highway, I recently noticed where the 'mystery man' came from - Bergman's Hour of the Wolf - check out the bird man character - I'II bet any money this sneaked into the Lynch subconscious - he's almost identical.
You certainly won't be fighting me to the death over 'Fire Walk with Me' - for me it's almost as stratospheric as Highway, Mulholland etc etc. I'm often amused by supposed Lynch fans' attitudes to this film, which is sloppily and unimaginatively dismissed by many, so it pains me too when people harp on about it being 'shit'.
I'm inspired and intrigued to check out the Bergman reference - haven't seen 'Hour of the Wolf' since I was sixteen, and at that point I think most of it was probably beyond me. Been thinking of having a Bergman resurgence for a while now actually - though the sorry thing is, I find it so much easier to watch something relatively accessible but trashy these days than more abstract and demanding stuff (recent delve into Lost Highway and various others aside). It used to be the other way round, but that's how life is when you end up with a pile of booze and a backlog of cheapshit horror!