View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:41 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I think Moulin Rouge is excellent. But I digress...

Destroy All Monsters - always one of my favourite 60's God zilla flicks, to see this on Tokyo Shock's wonderful Blu-Ray was glorious. Excellent "mod" futuristic fashions and sets, and a some top SF action ("Fire the maser cannons!"). And monsters. Loads of monsters. Wonderful.

The Return Of Godzilla - by 1984 things were different at Toho. This reboot of the series is dark and bleak, in a Cold War setting with some discussion of nuclear weapons issues that you may find harrowing if you lived through the 70s and 80s (the Russians and Americans trying to get the Japanese to agree to allow a nuclear strike on Godzilla on Japanese soil, I found genuinely moving - evoking the spectres of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and with some very dignified acting from Keiju Kobayashi as the Japanese Prime Minister). Comic relief is very light on the ground, and even the single "clown" character ends up making a deep impassioned speech. It's a powerful entry to the series and is (intentionally) very reminiscent of the original "Godzilla" from 1954. Very highly recommended.