View Single Post
Old 26th February 2012, 05:37 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE UNDERTAKER - Hmm, when a film fails to reach the dizzily disjointed heights of 'The Last Slumber Party' does it actually then somehow succeed on some level? You be the judge. Bad edits and 80s inanity prevail. Workout video out-takes vie with random exerpts from 'The Corpse Vanishes' for some kind of pointlessness award. Necrophilia features, but not really. Despite all this bollocks, I needed it to be even more bizarre. Joe Spinell might've been served a better swansong. But still I have to say I liked it, especially the bad metal at the beginning.
WILLARD - Really liked it, although have to admit my pro- Crispin Glover bias may have coloured my outlook a bit. Whatever, animals on the rampage always do it for me, and this one seems fairly audacious in throwing some psychosocial dynamics at the rat murder horde formula. Nice vaguely Burtonesque look and feel. Glover does a number on 'Ben' which is quite good.
MANHUNTER - Has always creeped me out because of the respective intensities of Petersen and Noonan, the alienating sheen of the 80s in retrospect and just the constant atmosphere of looming dread. Much more potent than 'Red Dragon', a more conventional take on the same source material. Whenever I think of this film I hear a low, pulsating synth drone in my mind's ear.
ANDROID OF NOTRE DAME - I'm always in favour of weird Japanese splatter and this is no exception. Not the harshest 'Guinea Pig' but certainly strange and gross enough for many tastes, with its random bursts of surgery, reanimated puke-head and arbitrarily dwarfish scientist obsessive. The cruelty is blackly comic and ends with some 'floating in the mists of time' style metaphysical shiiiit, sort of. Two severed thumbs up and a dead man's knob.
Wow, another "The Last Slumber Party" fan. It's one of my favourite pieces of wonky cinema.