View Single Post
Old 27th February 2012, 08:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Some recent viewings:

Enter The Void: Noe is one of my favourite directors working today, and ETV is one of his best works to date, imo. I've heard people complain about the length of this one (it clocks in at almost 3 hours), but it is time well spent as your senses are assaulted by some great imagery which intertwines the story of a brother and sister who's parents are killed when they are very young, and their struggle to cope in an ugly world.

Melancholia: I watched this again recently, and it is still as brilliant the second time around. Not only my favourite film from 2011, but one of the best I've ever seen: period. Such a beautiful and mesmerising film, although I understand that many won't share my love of this masterpiece!

Four Lions: Very funny, very 'Un-PC' film from Chris 'Brass Eye' Morris about inept but try-hard wannabe suicide bombers. Very well written and acted throughout; despite its subject matter this is highly enjoyable stuff.

Vengeance: Fairly decent action-revenge film from Johnnie To with plenty of gun play and a pretty decent, even if at sometimes strung-out plot. One thing that bugged me a bit was that every time someone was shot, it would be accompanied with a puff of bright red mist, which was a bit off-putting.

The Gorgon: Not top-tier Hammer, but still very enjoyable nonetheless; The Gorgon puts an interesting spin on the original Greek myth, to pretty decent effect. Cushing is on hand to play the stern doctor, whilst Lee plays a suitably OTT professor character. Predictable, and a tad bizarre in places but this is definitely worth a watch.

Repo Man: It's been years since I last saw this, so I cracked open my Eureka BD Steelbook with glee on arrival and was extremely impressed with the transfer (and the package as a whole). The film itself has also held up really well over the years and is a nice slice of deliciously dark comedy / sci-fi drama. Great score, too.