View Single Post
Old 15th March 2012, 07:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
HELLGATE - Wow, total desecration of taste, sense and meaning - it's amazing! Can't believe it's taken so long for me to catch up with one. I would try to summarise what happens in this twitching wreck of a movie but really couldn't bear to relive the trauma - suffice to say, if you harbour a special place in your heart for the likes of 'Skullduggery', 'The Last Slumber Party' and 'A Night to Dismember' and prefer films to make no sense at all, then here is another port of call along your highly dubious cine-travel route. All others will find a boring, disconnected pile of dreck where a movie should be - but remember, sometimes it's more important for a human statement to make a stand against all known values rather than align itself with the spoonfed hordes of the good, the enjoyable and the entertaining. 'Hellgate' makes such a stand. I'm going to stand alongside it until someone forces me to watch that Lars Von Trier flick about the world ending or something (spot the sincerity).

hellgate is always featured in any worst movies list I make! First came across it after buying it on vhs from a car boot many years ago. The promise of a movie from 'the people who brought you hellraiser' sounded too good to turn down. Tragically it turned out to be a pile of crap

Worst thing is, I OWN IT ON DVD! Yes indeedy, I went through a phase of buying every anchor bay double bill going (lovely matching black spines) and it came double-billed with an excellent and unfairly neglected little movie called THE PIT. That one IS worth seeing.