View Single Post
Old 26th April 2012, 10:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
A Zed and Two Noughts - Holy shit this is an insane movie. Technically incredible - shot to look like like a gallery of Vermeer paintings, the blu ray pic ture is stunning. One of Michael Nyman's best soundtracks. Copious nudity. Sounds great - but wait a minute, dreadful acting (including a surreal appearance from Jim Davidson!), leaden pretentious script and no plot whatsoever make it a bit of a slog. People often say Peter Greenaway is a love him or hate him director - I disagree as I've a foot firmly in both camps. Apart from The Cook, The Thief... of course, that one was an unmitigated masterpiece. Still recommend getting this BFI release for the sensory pleasures alone.
Jim Davidson appearing in Z&2x0 was about as good as the 80s got! I mean, until they unearth that long lost early Godard number starring a young and dashing Bernard Manning, you're not really going to get a better fusion of experimental film and reactionary UK TV comedy either. Despite what they say about that Herzog documentary on Freddie Starr.