View Single Post
Old 27th April 2012, 11:20 AM
Ex-member

Exclamation

Hello everyone. I had to trawl through this thread, to find the specifics, of what the new releases were actually going to be. Wasn't the easiest (or best) way to make such an announcement, in my view. Could we have a new thread, perhaps, next time, please? Cheers!

Still, I'm surprised at the choices. I am a Troma fan, but like many, I have several of these on US or Region 2 (Import) DVD. Personally, if you do want to get people into Troma, I would have chosen the following three titles instead:

THE TOXIC AVENGER
CITIZEN TOXIE: THE TOXIC AVENGER PART IV
POULTRYGEIST: NIGHT OF THE CHICKEN DEAD

I think, they are better Troma films, overall, and are ones that are more likely to appeal to those who haven't experienced Troma in full, uncut versions before, and who need convincing that Troma can make great films. I'm not saying that Arrow's choices are wrong, but they are unusual for sure.

POULTRYGEIST is an absolute hoot, even if you hate Troma. And seeing it in the full, uncut version, with the 2-hour documentary about the making of it, will convince many that Troma can make good films.

With that said, I'm not entirely sure if the three Troma films I've mentioned would pass the BBFC uncut. TOXIC AVENGER includes the rape of a blind girl, and the killing of her guide dog, as well as the shooting of a small boy, and the crushing of another young boy's head, in a darkly funny road accident. CITIZEN TOXIE contains so many uses of the word "retard", that the Daily Mail would have a complete meltdown, as well as many other scenes that are utterly and remorselessly politically incorrect. And POULTRYGEIST is also deeply politically incorrect, with a niqab-wearing Muslim women working in a chicken-nugget-serving fast food establishment. Again, likely to be fairly incendiary in the current climate.

Still, the LADY SNOWBLOOD STEELBOOK will be a must-buy, providing the films are totally uncut, in the correct anamorphic widescreen ratios, and have fully-removeable English subtitles. Some extras would also be nice please, as well as the regular Arrow booklet and poster, if at all possible. Thanks!