View Single Post
Old 4th May 2012, 08:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Episode 5

The Web

By Terry Nation

The Liberator becomes caught in a space web. Blake teleports down to the nearest planet to find a solution where he finds the last survivors of The Lost, people cast out of Cally's planet. The two survivors are in desperate need of power cells to help their systems and in turn free the Liberator from the web.

Blake agrees to help and Avon brings the power cells down to the planet. Blake also discovers others on the planet known as Decimas, creatures created by The lost which have evolved and reproduced and are now capable on their own. Blake finds out The Lost with the aid of the power cells will wipe out the Decimas and he refuses to supply them.

As all this is going on the Decimas mount their own attack on the base of The Lost killing the last survivors so they can now live on the planet in peace. Blake and Avon use the power cells to disable the web and the Liberator goes on its way.

The first episode to feature one of the crew being possesed, i always find these sequences tiresome as they have been done many times before in everything from Star Trek to almost every episode of the first series of Space 1999. It often makes me think story writers have run out of ideas, however here it is only a small section of the episode and there is a point to it as The Lost are communicating with Cally from the planet below.

The crew start to get tetchy with one another and Avon's scheming begins to shine through. This is the first episode to feature non humanoid aliens, in this case the Decimas and their world is made to look creepy and alien thanks to the webbing all over the terrain
Wasn't this the one that was initialy supposed to have Daleks in it?

DVD and BD collection