View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 05:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Piranha 3DD - at times riotously funny. A great sequel and loads of fun. Me and my mate were the only two people in the screening, which was nice for us, but not so nice for the film's takings! I really recommend it though.

Di Tresette ce n'รจ uno, tutti gli altri son nessuno/The Crazy Bunch - an astoundingly bizarre and unbelievably over-the-top slapstick Spaghetti Western comedy sequel. I have never seen anything like it before and at times couldn't believe what was unfolding on the screen. Like an unholy blend of Sartana, The Three Stooges and Benny Hill. It is hard to credit that this film ever got made. If you want to get weird, it's called Dicke Lufte In Sacremento on the German DVD release. Astonishing, and often very, very funny.

Any Gun Can Play/For A Few Bullets More - less obviously comedy but certainly a tongue-in-cheek spoof of the Spaghetti Western from Enzo Castellari. Some wonderfully strange imagery and three very decent performances from the leads. Lots of pisstaking of Leone films, especially The Good The Bad And The Ugly whose basic plot it "borrows". Worth a watch.

2012 - another ludicrous, OTT epic from Roland Emmerich. More camp and fun than most of his stuff. Entertaining if you don't look at it too hard. A future guilty pleasure like Independence Day? Probably...

Straight On Till Morning - flawed but still splendid Hammer shocker from the fag end of Swinging London. Peter Collinson's attempt at showy New Wave visuals doesn't quite work, but the story is sound. Shane Briant is brilliantly cast as the otherworldly Peter Pan From Hell figure. A brave film for Hammer, and recommended viewing.