View Single Post
Old 16th May 2012, 10:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
it seems to be regarded higher than Fulci's other films like The Beyond and City Of The Living Dead which i find baffling as those two are atmospheric, gory and really beautifully shot, Zombie is a bit of a bore for me as i find it a chore to sit through but the BU disc is a thing of beauty..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's generally regarded as a classic but, as suziginajackson said, it hasn't aged as well as some of Fulci's more plot oriented films: some of the dubbing is laughable, the acting leaves a lot to be desired and the SFX make-up is frequently unconvincing.

However, I love it as the time seems to fly by and I seem to like it more with every viewing. It's a step below something like Dawn of the Dead (even though the zombie effects are similar) as it doesn't have the intelligence of Romero's zombie masterpiece.

Just try and clear your mind as much as possible and watch it without any preconceptions so you can give it an honest appraisal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Being brutally honest...

I first saw 'Zombie Flesheaters' (as us Brits know it) back in the 80's on video, and I thought it was a great film - lotsa blood in the opening sequence, jaw dropping shark scene, legendary eyeball scene, sickening zombie buffet scene, gripping final speech on the radio

Watching it now, about 20 years older, and I find it laughable. The pace is very slow, the effects look incredibly phoney, the characters are stupid, there is no logic and the plot is only there to separate the gore

However...I'm sure you already knew that

The great film I saw as a teenager, which I couldn't stop raving over, is now a typical friday night leave-your-brain-at-the-door, beer-and-kebab film

It is awful, but it is also a classic and I love revisiting the island of Matoul!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Oh it's really boring mate, tedious, not gory, not scary. Get something good for your Birthday instead................ (only kidding everyone, I think it's a bloody classic)
Sounds right up my alley. Getting it for my 15th on the 28th May, and sounds like a lot of fun. I have no problem with crap effects (as long as it isn't cg), and I had an absolute hoot watching Pieces, so looks like I'll have fun! Thanks for the feedback!

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga