View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 11:03 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
For info to all (And those who like me had had enough of the rubbish Technika (Tesco) all region blu ray player).

Went off to Richer Sounds and picked up the Toshiba BDX1200 for £49.95, Applied the Australian firmware update (took all of 5 minutes) and now have a reliable multiregion for Blu-ray and DVD player.

Tested all of my limited selection of about a dozen Region A locked titles and all appear to play perfect.

The troublesome Region A "Return of the Living Dead" now plays the extras in full screen rather than a little window in the corner as on the Technika.

The Region B Terminator 2 Skynet now plays, whereas it wouldn't even start the menu on the Technika.

Daybreakers now plays within seconds instead of the 7+ minutes it used to take on my old Samsung, and wouldn't play at all on the Technika.

Haven't had chance to play a film all the way though, but it would finally seem to be the answer.

Shame it can do nothing about the appaling picture on the Region A Kam & Ronson discs, but that's purely down to the cheapskates at K&R using crap upconverts (or even DVD/VHS quality prints. I'm looking at you "A Chinese Ghost Story")
Just to say you might still have problems with a few discs. Melancholia, Drive and Kill List all stutter slightly at points during the film on the Toshiba, something that doesn't happen at least on the Technika.