Thread: Jess Franco
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 09:39 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Just think of nudity as acting without clothes on, if that makes it more palatable.

I have to echo other people's comments. Franco's films are dreamlike and surreal. Yes, there's often nudity, but it's placed in such an odd way it just adds to the surrealism. It's not traditional nudity, as in sex scenes. Quite often people just pop up with no clothes on, there's no sex and they contribute dialogue. It's quite strange but give Franco's films a flavour quite unlike that of any other director, except for perhaps Rollin. In fact, I think Franco's films deal more in subversiveness and sexual tension than outright erotica. There's a definite philosophy behind what Franco does.
My favorite quotation about Franco films: "Watching them is like panning for gold in Alaska. You get this one perfect tiny nugget of gold, but lose 3 fingers to frostbite."

To which I add: To understand Franco, you have to become Franco. To become Franco, you have to watch a lot of Franco. Or something like that.

99 WOMEN and EUGENIE with Maria Rohm, for example, have the same underlying narrative. But you have to look behind the screen when you watch.