View Single Post
Old 9th June 2012, 01:12 AM
Cult Rookie

Lets pretend for a second or two that we didn’t live in a world that bombards us with mundane digital shiet that blends in with every other dvd/ blu-ray release on the shelf. Think back to the ’video nasty’ era the sleeves jumped out off the shelves and almost threatened you to take em home or else. I still remember the work Graham Humphreys did for palace video and love it till this day.
But the work done for palace such as The Evil Dead, basket case and spookies to name a few is a world away from what is being offered to arrow video punters now. I have nothing but the utmost respect for GH but ya have to face the facts the work that has been commissioned with him over recent years e.g. : Old Boy , Lady Vengeance, or dare I say it Party Monster well they just don’t hit the mark do they ?. I don’t mean to insult the man at the end of the day it comes down to advertising agencies and distributors not giving a dam what the final article looks like as long as they think it could sell a few more copies.
Even worse why pay for something that really pops when you can get a half assed but passable job for a fraction of the price.
And this is one of the reasons why I have collected 99.9% of arrow videos releases to date they are reminiscent of the old skool vhs releases I hold in such high regard from my days as a horror addicted kid haunting my local video shop staring at the art work for ages before finally choosing a title to rent. In fact wasn’t that a sales point for arrow at one point ?.
recently though it appears we are expected to accept what Rick Melton describes quite rightly in my opinion as a ‘bunch of traced downloaded images slapped together in photoshop’. So what happened was there a audit after the fire and budgets had to be cut I’ve heard that GH is doing these jobs a deal cheaper than RM could. Other reasons I have heard was the guy who hired Melton was let go.
What ever reason it is that Rick has been faded out lets not forget that what he was doing for Arrow film were in fact real works of art love em or hate em I defy 99% of his critics to be able to do what he can do with oil and a board.
And trust me when you see them framed and hanging on a wall well lets just say a dvd sleeve cant do them justice.
Any way I have included some mock ups of alternative upcoming releases (if they aint removed) take a look and see what you think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no arrowZOMBI 2 no arrow.JPG (34.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS.jpg (99.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by piotimike; 9th June 2012 at 01:32 AM.