View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2012, 02:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
SUMMER HOLIDAY. Cliff and the boys have fun in the sun and on a bus. I love exploitation films like this, whereby a well known pop star is cast in the lead of an undemanding film. Everyone is a winner: the fans get to see the star sing a few songs, the star gets more exposure and the film makers get richer.

THE FIRM. Gary Oldman is f*cking amazing in this excellent but objectively rather silly look at football hooligans. It plays better as a film about gang warfare than football violence. Still, the background information delivered by cars, houses, clothing and employment paint an excellent portray of Thatcher's Britain and contain a subtle political depth lacking in such recent films like "The Football Factory". That said, "The Football Factory" is still my favourite film seen so far the year.

Going back to Oldman, I'd forgotten just how good he was when younger.
I always liked the 'The Firm', might try to score a copy now you've reminded me.
Alan Clarke did this amazing film called 'Stars Of The Roller State Disco' back in about 1984, I think. You can't get it anywhere, but apparently there's a clip on YOUTUBE with a bit of Wogan thrown in. I saw it at the BFI in the early noughties. It was a BBC drama, maybe a 'Play For Today', can't quite remember, but it's basically a dystopian vision of Thatcher's Britain (OK, Thatchland was a dystopia anyway, but you know what I mean) set in a roller rink / job centre (!) where unemployed youth are forced to skate mindlessly in circles until they get a job! Warped social-realist fantasy at its best! Wish someone would release it (come on, BFI!)