View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Yours truly recently completed scrutinising Pop Flix's Dead Or Alive spagwest collection and imo this set remains a decent purchase for such a pocket-friendly price. However, although the transfer on Black Killer is nice, please take heed my copy suffers from an all-too evident PQ flaw in that whenever a character walks around onscreen they move with an awful stiff, 'jerky' sorta motion that made watching the movie unpalatable for me. I'm unsure if i have a problematic DVD or whether there's some kinda encoding error apparent i can't say. The other films in the compilation were all fine.
Just checked mine.

That's on the master from the look of it. A low quality standards conversion (PAL to NTSC) then an aspect ratio converter (possibly, to bodge up an anamorphic DVD from a non-anamorphic source tape). Then even further reduction so three films can be crammed onto a single DVD (all three films and menus take up 7½ gigabytes, Black Killer taking up nearly 3 of those). The waxy lack of detail and that the jerky artifacting is occasional and not constant (especially apparent on slo-mo shots) are giveaways of excessive and poor conversion processing from source to final disk, even at the relatively high file size.

It's amazing it looks as good as it does!