View Single Post
Old 29th August 2012, 06:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR - Portmanteau bollocks assembled from the rags of three pre-existing movies and wrapped in some awful cranked out shit starring god, the devil and some refugees from MTV / Royal Variety 1984. If my description doesn't make sense, just buy the film and watch it - anything I write will be more coherent than this cinematic sputum, which in my book attains unintentional avant-garde status by being so badly edited it just doesn't make sense at all, and otherwise hits home by featuring an unknown quota of bandanas and legwarmers during the 'musical bits'. As for the 'episodes' themselves, the first features light bondage and organ trafficing in a psych ward, the second is a concentrated version of 'The Deathwish Club' (a weird little film from 1983 which I wholeheartedly recommend in its full version, by the way - has nowhere near the exposure it should enjoy, a genuinely bizarre oddity with a trashy Lynchian vibe, was quite available from Amazon last time I looked which was ages ago, must review it properly here some time but anyway), and the third is another good vs evil (vs Nietzsche?) throwaway thing derived from 'Cataclysm' with C Mitchell bulging his eyes at Nazis, the antichrist and some lovely stop-motion FX before an all-out surgical maelstrom at the climax. I really wish filmmakers (or, more realistically, producers, distributors and studios) thought they could still get away with pulling this kind of shit these days. When audience sophistication was less of a concern and the raging contempt of commerce for art was allowed to play its hand unabashed, weird rubbish like this sometimes followed. Suffice to say, I loved the results - cinematic waste, barely processed.
The version I saw (Laser Paradise) looked like it derived from a good VHS source (or possibly a video master) and was open matte and uncut as far as I could tell. I only say this because I'm aware that this public domain title is out there in various different forms, some of which may be rubbish.