View Single Post
Old 16th October 2012, 01:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE FIEND - I really enjoyed this obscure Brit horror from the early 70s. It reminded me a little of the films of Pete Walker, although it just about predates his horror phase. It's got the same dour, contemporary vibe as the Walker stuff but is much more eccentric, seemingly at points threatening to turn into a Gospel themed musical (these outbreaks soundtrack a couple of Giallo style killings!). Follows the murderous exploits of a N Bates style swimming instructor who lives with evangelical church involved mother with obligatory Oedipal sickliness going on. Could almost have been called "Confessions of a Religious Pervert". Repressed and groovy in equal measure.

MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN - Didn't do all that much for me as a Clive Barker adaption, but I quite liked it as a latter day mainstream B-movie time killer. With Vinnie Jones as a silent subway butcher and a reasonable amount of splatter. Felt the 'Ancient City Fathers' bit was underplayed.

WHERE THE DOGS DIVIDE HER - Was expecting an underground American experimental horror movie, whereas this actually turned out to be an underground Lancastrian experimental horror movie! One of the characters even writes 'Todmorden' in a sinister fashion at one point! Anyway, it's hard to describe, reminded me a little of 'Ice From the Sun' by way of crude comparison in that it's non-linear, image driven, frequently fascinating but sometimes drags. And is very cheap. But interesting and worth a look for those not turned off by constant doll references and budget video effects.

THE STINK OF FLESH - Original zombie action from 2004. Features a strange menage type situation set in zombie wilderness. With living dead sex slaves and a woman whose sister is a deformed stomach dwelling face. I found some of the humour a little grating, but certainly plenty of kudos for whacky novelty.

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP - Always a pleasure to revisit. I'm sure everyone knows this one, but if not, recommended for fans of mutant salmon sex offenders.

RE-CYCLE - Author gets haunted and ends up in an alternative dimension populated by the specters of 'the abandoned'. She's forced to come to terms with an issue from her past.Takes a while to warm up, but hits home when the weirdness kicks in. Maybe I was hoping for it to be a bit more 'full on' in some mysterious way, but it's certainly worth a shot.