View Single Post
Old 21st October 2012, 09:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The short story by H.P lovecraft HERBERT WEST RE-ANIMATOR was never really lovecraftian either! Old H.P always considered it to be a job done for the cash, too obvious and too gory to be considered part of the mythos. That said I have a theory why some people go off the film.

Re-animator is suppossed to be an OTT comedy horror, the humour coming from how over the top and ridiculously extreme the film is. Trouble is 30 years later and it does'nt look all that extreme, I know people who have trouble with the evil dead for the same reason, while they prefer evil dead 2 because it's a different kind of humour, physical slapstick with grue which is possibly more timeless.
Very true, the short story isn't in the realms of the more eldritch / tentacular Lovecraft admired by most. Although the essence of Lovecraft is stylistic more than anything else for me.
I also agree with what you say about time dulling the edge of 'Reanimator's OTT blood & guts black comedy. I guess that's the price of progress! Having said this, I've never had the same problem with 'Evil Dead' - it has a kind of vicious hysteria about it that goes beyond comedy.