View Single Post
Old 13th November 2012, 05:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

And another one:

Quote:
Michael Brooke says:
I don't know what they're doing with 'Black Sunday', though I'm guessing they're using existing HD masters. PoochJD's scepticism above, while misplaced in this particular instance, would be justified in most cases - because the kind of treatment that 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' got is indeed pretty rare for an independent UK label.

The BFI and Criterion often work directly from celluloid, but they're far better resourced, and have the market (Criterion) or the archival remit (BFI) to justify the expense - most other UK independents have to fall back on what's already available off the shelf. That's why Masters of Cinema, despite being Blu-ray evangelists, were forced to release their recent 'Park Row' on DVD only, because an HD master doesn't exist and the likely sales didn't come anywhere close to justifying paying for one themselves.

Incidentally, if DVD Beaver's charts and my PS3 can be relied upon to supply matching data, the new Arrow disc has a very noticeably higher bitrate than the Blue Underground disc - hovering around 32-36 MB/sec compared with the BU average of around 28. Having spent much more time and money than usual on the transfer and encode, Arrow are clearly determined to show it off.