View Single Post
Old 14th November 2012, 07:54 PM
Cult Addict

YEAR OF THE DRAGON.

Michael Cimino got a lot of stick for heavens gate (not all of it deserved, it may have been massively expensive but it's a damnned fine piece of cinema.) but proves here that he's still a real talent. Shooting from a script co-written with Oliver stone, the films follows Mickey Rourke's vientam vet turned copper assigned to chinatown and decides to go head to head against the triads, his pursuit of up and coming triad leader Joey Thi (John Lone) becomes obsessive to the point it begins destroying the lives of the people around him.

A supurb cop thriller, that also serves to highlight how unfairly the chinese community has been treated in america (probably stones scriptwriting coming to the surface) the films is well acted and supurbly shot making great use of new york as a backdrop for the action.

Best of all the scanbox dvd only cost me 50p from cash generator, so a total bargain all round, was planning to finish up the night with either puppet master 2 and 3 or some hammer on blu-ray but for some reason I find myself in the mood for some malcom x instead... go figure!