View Single Post
Old 19th November 2012, 11:28 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I know the film is the epitome of cool, but is the grosse point blank special edition out stateside any good?

Too late if it aint cause at £5.96 I thought i'd give it a go, I love the movie, its like Lloyd from say anything grew up to be a contract killer!
Blu-ray.com review gives PQ 2.5 out of 5 which is a shame:

Disney's 1080p/AVC-encoded video transfer takes its high definition shot... and misses. Minted from what appears to be a dated, DVD-era master, the image suffers from overzealous edge enhancement and thick halos (some of which will cause even the most casual of viewers to take notice); inconsistent, occasionally off-putting contrast leveling; at-times unnatural, pink-tainted fleshtones; and a few brief but thankfully minor bursts of banding and artifacting. The edge halos are the most troubling issue, though, and make a nuisance of themselves from Blank's opening hotel-window hit to his final showdown with Grocer. Noise reduction and other filtering techniques have been utilized, but not too heavily employed, as evidenced by the film's generally pleasant veneer of grain and instances of notable fine detailing, some of which are quite impressive, all things considered. Still, softness and a slight pudginess is apparent, and only a portion of it traces back to Jamie Anderson's original photography. Yes, closeups are teeming with well-preserved textures and other nuances that simply didn't come through on DVD (even though midrange shots don't fare so well). Yes, colors are warmer, primaries more vivid, black levels deeper, and delineation the tiniest bit more revealing. And yes, however problematic the presentation may be, Grosse Pointe Blank's Blu-ray debut outclasses its DVD counterpart. Not by a whole lot, though, making the hit-or-miss upgrade as rewarding as it is disappointing. A new master would have, without a doubt, produced more dramatic results. Blank is yet another highly anticipated Disney catalog title doomed to years of bargain-priced limbo.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html