View Single Post
Old 26th November 2012, 05:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Survival of the Dead: had this languishing on my shelf for such a long time and finally took the plunge. It's pretty bad. Romero attempts at doing a zombie film (interestingly his first which is a direct sequel, of sorts, to a previous film) borrowing from the western genre which sounds kinda cool, the problem being it's so poorly written and utterly dull it just amounts to a waste of time. The idea behind it is pretty interesting and some of the western-inspired shots are nice but it never escapes from the poorly underwritten script or cheap visual effects; the cgi is beyond dismal and the practical zombie effects make it genuinely hard at times to distinguish the living from the dead. I watched it twice over two nights, the second time with the commentary on to see what Romero actually thought of it and was shocked to be listening to a commentary track full of self-satisfied guffawing at the cgi gags as if they're something to be proud of and the revelations of a former master of the genre thinking this is genuinely good work he's still doing.
Despite your complaints, i do think Survival and Diary are better than any other zombie film from the last ten years. (Excluding Dead Snow which is an all time classic.)

Many of the more famous ones such as Zombie Diaries are far worse.