View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict

DARK KNIGHT RISES.

Not a lot more to add to this, a fine send off for nolans take on the bat. With DC keen to rake in the sort of dough marvel have with the avengers expect to see another bat 'reboot' in the not too distant future. Will it be as iconic as the DARK KNIGHT? who knows, perhaps it will be a little more faithful to the source material but as a stand alone trilogy its hard to beat nolans version. (though curiously I often found myself more interested in the films he was making between batman movies)

OUTRAGE.

I've been yearning to see Takeshi kitano return to the yakuza terretory he covered in classics like sonatine, boiling point and brother and here he certainly dosent dissapoint. A senior Yakuza whose been seen moonlighting with a rival family seeks to avoid any suspicion by orchastrating an incident with the rival family he can be seen to respond to and show his loyalty, unfortunately it spins out of control and things get bloody. The film is full of kitano's trademark mixture of sudden brutal violence mixed with jet black comedy that made me enjoy his other yakuza films so much. Going by the plot, it feels like he has returned to the crime film to make a statement about modern japan, as honour is left by the wayside as greed, ambition and deceit take centre stage as characters manipulate and double cross each other with bloody results all to gain personal advantage and the code of family seems hollow and meaningless.

If you like kitano's work like I do (and I even think merry christmas mr lawrence is underrated) both as an actor and director then this is highly reccomended. If your not so keen on his style of filmmaking I doubt it will change your mind very much.