View Single Post
Old 14th December 2012, 09:36 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Managed a triple bill last night! Hooray! The first two inspired by my excitement at seeing the first trailer for next year's Pacific Rim:

Godzilla vs Mechgodzilla/Gojira tai Mekagojira - 1974 Japan d: Jun Fukuda

Prime Big G cheese, probably Jun Fukuda's best effort in the series. Fukuda's offerings tended to be lighter, more straight forward adventures - a bit TV like. This was the first appearance of Mechagodzilla, here a pawn of the Simian aliens from Black Hole Third Planet as they tried to take over the world.

This is the one featuring the guardian of Okinawa, the splendid King Caesar, who teams up with The G to take on the powerful alien robot.

Excellent fun, you know what to expect and this has it in spades.

Terror Of Mechagodzilla/Mekagojira no gyakushu - 1975 Japan d: Ishirô Honda

A direct sequel within the ongoing chain. This was the last of the initial run of Godzilla films. This time, original visionary Ishirô Honda was back in the chair, and brought with him a less pedestrian, more stylish approach with a much darker, less frivolous tone.

No King Caesar, but this is the better film of the pair. There is far more going on in terms of character and plotting, and the more violent, tone really emphasises the emotions at play. This time Gojira faces two foes - a rebuilt, improved Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus a mighty aquatic dinosaur under mind control.

I really like this one, it stands out at a time when Toho were making Godzilla a silly family franchise, hinting at the newer, darker revival nearly a decade later.

The first pair of Mechagodzilla films make a fascinating contrast and hitting them up as a double bill is recommended.

My Tutor - 1983 d:George Bowers

One of those "let's lose our virginity" teen flicks from the 80s. Here less rambunctious then others with a surprising dollop of sensitive characterisation. Very heavy on T&A and sex scenes, this could well prove surprising to those who didn't remember such things from the time.

Most amazing of all is an early Crispin Glover performance as the hero's best friend. He is as odd as ever and seeing this oddness in a "leer at the arses" type rôle rather than a dour indie flick is quite hilarious. Also, Kitten Natividad turns up as a hooker and Kevin McCarthy is the stern father.

I admit I am biased, but I thought this was a decent 80s effort,. It's not as well done as Porky's, say, but it hits more often than it misses and is a brilliant time capsule.

The print quality on Mill Creek's "Too Cool For School" collection is perfect.