View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2012, 05:20 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Matching online pricing if your a high street store is impossible, I work at blockbusters and we dropped all the big titles to £13.99 on pre-order for blu and £10.99 on dvd (were still doing this I should add, Looper is currently available for pre-order at £13.99, and Dredd £14.99 for example.) and dvds at £9.99 (some of the big'uns like ted and dark knight down to £8.99) and still amazon and play turn round and undercut us...

Why?

Well they dont pay taxes for a start and they don't have all these shops employing people, in fact most online retailers only actually employ a fraction of what a high street retailer does. So when all these highstreet retailers shut then thats extra on our tax bills (not play or amazons, they dont pay it) to keep the staff on benefits.

That said at least we made something of an effort, HMV are nuts charging somke of the prices they do instore, far better to keep as low as possible and hope for goodwill from the public imo. Other than that online will always have the upper hand.
Some of Blockbuster's prices seem reasonable though. It does surprise me that the savings that HMV make with online retailing can't be transferred in some way to the high street though although I don't know much about such things admittedly. Judging from the hectic carnage i witnessed the other day I suspect HMV make a great deal of their revenue on overpriced goods from the last minute disorganised Christmas shoppers