View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:51 PM
Cult Addict

Jack Reacher.

From the trailer to this I could have personally waited for a blu-ray release of this bar two things...

1. Werner Herzog, I remember seeing the trailer and thinking "was that?...No it COULDENT be!" except one imdb check later proved it was. He's not a pro actor but he's good as the creepy villain. Steals every scene he's in.

2. Christopher mquarrie. Most famous still for witing USUAL SUSPECTS. But for me he deserves more praise for the very underrated WAY OF THE GUN.

and Thank god for both, the film is actually pretty good, though I might have preffered someone other than cruise in the role. Mcquarrie likes to throw a lot of humour and wry observations into his scenes that lifts the material above the generic pap it so easily could have been. Best example is where two thugs come for Reacher with baseball bats, except the room is too small and the pair end up doing more damage to themselves. The film is peppered with strange and funny moments like that throughout and its also one of the reasons WOTG was so good. Its worth noting the film is a 12a and in a couple of places looks noticeably cut, so expect an 'unrated' or 'unseen directors cut' on blu-ray.