View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:54 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw Jack Reacher last week and found it easily exceeded my measured expectations. From the trailer, I anticipated a 'nuts and bolts', fairly predictable action movie but it was far from that and, moreover, that Tom Cruise's diminutive stature didn't matter at all. However, it is a little unfortunate that one scene is pretty much dominated by his left tit rather than Rosamund Pike.

It's one I'll definitely check out when it's available for home viewing, something I didn't expect to say before I went to the cinema.

On Tuesday, I saw The Impossible and the scenes recreating the tsunami are mind blowing in their authenticity as it almost looks like footage from the disaster rather than something made in the studio and with CGI. It's a really moving film which perfectly illustrates how the hospitals were overflowing with the dead, dying, injured and people looking for their relatives.

Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts both give arguably career-best performances and will probably be Oscar-nominated, with Tom Holland really impressing as Lucas, their eldest son. As well as McGregor and Watts, this will probably be Oscar-nominated for Best Picture and Best Director (for J.A. Bayona).

Due to the scale of some of the disaster scenes and the audio-visual impact, it's one to see at the cinema if possible.