View Single Post
Old 10th January 2013, 02:56 PM
Active Cultist

I'm still mainlining Criterion blu-rays - through presents and wheeling and dealing on e-bay and the good salespeople of this forum I've amassed 32 of the buggers! Here's the latest viewings

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence - Man its been a long time since I watched this, pleased to say it holds up pretty well. Forgot Beat Kitano (is that his proper name? I can never remember - anyway the guy out Battle Royale) is in it. Bowie's pretty good despite the stick he gets for his acting (I actually watched this the night before the momentous announcement - psychic or what!?), Sakamatos acting is bad imo, although his music is fantastic. Very interesting movie this, recommended. Extras wise i watched the making of doc and interview with the screenwriter - both excellent.

Kuroneko - nice creepy movie although the ghost/cat demon things a bit vague - if these ladies were ghosts whats the score with the severed hairy arm? whats the cat got to do with anything anyways? Doesn't matter really, I just enjoyed watching a succession of randy samurai getting their comeuppance and nobody shoots wavy bamboo like Shindo. Theres a 60 min interview here which I've still to watch, enjoyed the booklet and the shimmery cover.

Sanjuro - Toshiro Mifune just rocks in this, probably the coolest action hero ever committed to film - a lazy, drunk strategical genius whose unbeatable with a sword and a master of the put down, whats not to love. How about that last fight scene? best 3 seconds ever? could be. Good critic commentary, bit lecturery but i don't mind this style - helps me learn!

In the Mood For Love - An all time favourite, glorious in HD - thats all that needs to be said, apart from the obvious fact that Maggie Cheung is a goddess in this film.

Rosemarys Baby - Been holding off watching this for years waiting for a blu - it was worth it, looks great - check out Ruth Gordon's hideous blouses in hi-def (although at times Mia Farrow's paleface make-up comes across as a bit overdone, like she's playing Marcel Marceau). I'm nitpicking - great film, great edition.

Next up - The Naked Kiss, Charade and Quadrophenia - where will it all end!

My main worry - I get drunk one night and order the deleted The Man Wh Fell To Earth from some scalper on e-bay - its about 90 quid!!!!