View Single Post
Old 21st January 2013, 12:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

I HAVE SEEN SO MANY GODDAMN MOVIE THIS CHRISTMAS!!
I actually gave up writing them all here. But I'll salvage what I remember.

Amazing Spider Man - Shits all over Raimis films. Garfield is the perfect spiderman, perfectly embodying the character he was in the comics. Recommended

Wreck It Ralph - Good god I loved this almost too much. Loved the references. The first couple of scenes were a bit slow, trying to cram as many references in as possible, while almost getting cringe-worthy, peaking with an extremely out of place Skrillex cameo. But things get a lot better once Ralph leaves his game, and it's great from there. Highly Recommended

Frankenweenie - I think a lot of people here would get a kick out of this, adaption of the live action short film, features great B&W stop motion, with a Vincent Price inspired science teacher, and a homage to the classic monster in the finale which was so excellent, homaging the likes of Gremlins, Godzilla, werewolves and all other crazy things. Typical Tim Burton fare, but Depp free, and a great film.

Who Dares Wins - You Brits can make an absolute cracker of a movie. Was quite unsure about this one at first, but thoroughly enjoyed it in the end.

The Birds - A fantastic Hitchcock film, slow to get going, then becomes absolutely terrifying. Would almost said this may have inspired the early Zombie movies a bit.

Killing Them Softly - Eeeerm. Gee. Look, if I could understand half the things they were saying, I probably would have enjoyed it more. Fantastic cinematography, and great performances, but really all over the place. Maybe give it a rent if the disc has subtitles.

Lady Snowblood - A great little Japanese film about revenge. Don't seem to remember much about this one, just that I enjoyed it.

Basket Case 2 - A good fun sequel, but the new style Belial felt a bit jarring at first, but quickly warmed to him. Loved the little friends in the home.

Puppet Master - Some good fun, but really didn't add up to much for me. Still good though, just felt like not a lot happened at all.

The Hobbit - Great film, with good fun scenes, great cast, and great writing. Typical Jackson fare, extremely enjoyable.

Zombie Holocaust - Watched this one today. Shriek Show blu was now where near as bad as it was made out to be. Fun little zombie cannibal film, felt almost like Fulcis Zombie, except with Cannibals instead. Love the bit with the dummy and the hospital window though.

Black Christmas - Holy shit on a stick. That was amazing!! Olivia Hussey really gives a shit house performance, but John Saxon makes up for it. A really, really chilling film, with some great bits in it, and a hair tearing ambiguous ending that you'll lose sleep over. Have to say, the sound effects sounded rerecorded, not sure if they were, but when Phil walks into the room with the dead girl, and the door slams shut, that was simply the single most pant shittingly terrifying sound I have ever heard. Like creaking, quiet screaming and glass smashing. If anyone has this, just stick this bit on and listen closely.

Splice - Good fun homage to old exploitation flicks and horror, with great cast and writing. If you liked Night Of The Creeps, you'll love this!

Well that's all I can think off for now. I've seen some great films recently!

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga