Thread: Commando (1985)
View Single Post
Old 4th February 2013, 05:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Bennett has to be one of the portlier most unconvincing villains ever but for sheer action rompery from the plot to the score this is a firm fave.
The way the above antagonist prances around after Matrix's daughter once she escapes her room is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I wouldn't like to choose between Commando and Taken, which i think is the best action movie of this century.

I suppose Commando wins it as its still a total joy to watch nearly thirty years later. I should try and answer it again in another twenty five years and see if i still rate Taken so highly.
Both are indeed superb actioners and Commando is definitely the more outrageous outing with Taken maintaining a more serious edge imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
It's so unapologetically ridiculous in it's 80's popcorn vibe. Did Mark Lester ever make another decent actioner? Showdown in Little Tokyo is terrible.
I like Lester's Class Of 1984 even though it's not an actual action film and i agree SILT is an horrendous effort that pales vastly in comparison to Commando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
This bit has me cracking up everytime, it's Bennett Mercury's face.
Yep, Bennett's facial expression when Matrix convinces him to fight one-on-one is absolutely priceless. Eyes wide and mouth open in an ecstatic state of mouth-watering anticipation of finally killing his old army adversary.