View Single Post
Old 26th June 2009, 09:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I had "Hostel" and "Saw" pegged as responses to America's treatment of prisoners in the "war on terror".It's interesting to note that the present state of the world reflects that of the early 80s:war in Afghanistan,terrorist attacks on main land Britain and economic chaos.And the films we are getting at the moment:"Friday the 13th","My Bloody Valentine" etc...

Yes, with all the remakes at the moment of genre classics, it's as though we have almost come full circle...

Interesting points about Hostel and Saw MTDS, I'm just not convinced... What I see is man-made monsters torturing normal, relatable people (in the case of Hostel 'innocent' civilians - introducing a fear of unknown foreign locations, and the 'unusual' to the gore hungry masses, just as Texas Chain Saw Massacre introduced the fear of remote American towns; and in the case of Saw seemingly innocent people who had inner guilt or 'flaws', as seen by Jigsaw who were then exploited so they could be 'better people'- and again who are very relatable characters). In some ways I can see where you are coming from in some fashion where Hostel is concerned: The greedy rich paying huge amounts of money to satisfy their deep, dark desires to torture innocents, but to me there seems a bigger picture to the direction the genre is sliding toward. Great points though mate.