View Single Post
Old 11th February 2013, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
Seems like I have to give y'all a short history lesson: Germany and Austria are no longer one (and thank God for that, if I may add that )

The problem with german DVDs / BDs is that we have a ridiculous censorship going on here, nicely camouflaged under the youth protection label, since censorship is not allowed here, based on bad experiences during the dark ages (yeah, exactly, when Germany and Austria were still united! ) - but we have a lot of people who would pay anything to get a German dubbed version of a film - hence the many shops in Austria with all the big editions for sometimes pretty astronomical prices.

My tip to most here, since I do not think you need the German dub: Avoid German releases as they might be cut (check www.ofdb.de yeah, it is in German, but in the list of versions for a film, you can see a scissors symbol for the cut versions!) and avoid the Austrian releases if they are too expensive...

I am really amused as I hunt the world for editions to avoid our crap, or the dung from the alps next door But yeah, some fine stuff gets released here once every other moon - that TCM release really is a beauty and the fight the label fought for it was excellent!
Don't be so hard on your homegrown and neighbour grown There have been a number instances where German or Austrian releases have been the only way to go. I still remember how pleased I was to get an English language DVD of Anthropophagous over ten years ago on the Astro label...and then there's the Guinea Pig box set, Deranged, the 156min novelty Dawn (albeit auf Deutsch) and many others.