View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:53 PM
Active Cultist

I've been watching Utopia and for me it has been found guilty of meandering - this would have worked much better as 3 x 1 hours rather than 6. I never really felt the necessary tension, fear and plot momentum necessary to sustain this length of show. Jessica Hyde didn't convince with her monosyllabic delivery and the saturated colours and farty irrelevant music got old fast. 6.5/10 for me and I'm being generous.
Black Mirror on the other hand - outstanding first 2 episodes. I take my hat off to Charlie Brooker - he's way ahead of the curve here, this is the stuff Hollywood will be watering down and presenting 20 years from now. Loved the whiff of MR James in the first one. Although it could be seen as a simple treatise on artificial intelligence, it was really about the nature of the soul (personality?) and the possibility of it transcending death via sheer accumulation of data, a facsimile if you like. Gave me a ghostly shudder anyway... This weeks episode was an out and out Daily Mail masturbatory revenge fantasy that dared the viewer to feel satisfaction in the closing revelations. I didn't, in fact yet again I shuddered at the fact that i'm part of the human race. Thanks Charlie!