View Single Post
Old 19th March 2013, 11:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Maniac (2012)

Decided to go see this after work, and traveled out of my way to do so seeing it's on so few screens in London - boy, am I glad I did.

What a film! A proper horror film - I haven't said that for a while - and one owing as much to arthouse as exploitation. Beautifully directed, I loved the aesthetic, and despite its contemporary setting its heart is in the 80s, complete with a terrific synthy soundtrack courtesy of Rob. Elijah Wood shakes off all traces of the shire and convinces as the edgy, crazy-eyed killer - he's impressively psychotic. It's unflinchingly violent, the unnerving first person viewpoint making us helplessly complicit to the numerous gruesome scalpings and other satisfyingly grisly moments.

I liked this a lot. Franck Khalfoun has paid affectionate homage to the original, while successfully updating it. Inspired casting too.
I just got back from seeing this. I agree completely and it is certainly one of the best remakes I've seen. It's very stylised and I really liked the music also. Elijah Wood was very good. I did think it was shame that the cinema was virtually empty though.

Recommended

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2