View Single Post
Old 24th March 2013, 10:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE CORRIDOR - I thought this was OK, although maybe I was expecting something slightly more psychedelic or weird. A bunch of twenty somethings get together for a reunion years after one of them was incarcerated in a psych-ward. They find a strange, ethereal zone in the local forest and turn into psychic murderers. It's well handled and taken seriously, particularly in terms of the build-up, which is all about psychology and character. When it lets loose there are some intense scenes, but the strangeness intrinsic to the material isn't quite sustained enough for my liking. It's garnered good reviews and I plan to give it another shot.

BACHELOR PARTY MASSACRE - Sometimes I buy those poundland "this is obviously a complete waste of your time and totally shit" horror DVDs without knowing anything about the lump of plastic my hand apart from the cost and the likelihood of vinegary resentment setting in once I press play. But sometimes I've discovered interesting movies in the course of this often drunken activity. I have to say I really enjoyed BPM. It has the vibe of 'real' latter-day exploitation about it, as opposed to those post mid-noughties Tarrantinoesque wannabes. It's grimy, looks like shit, but plays fast and mean and is obviously made with intelligence acting dumb. Some chumps at a 'bachekor party' are offed by an angry woman. A bit too comedic, and could've done with more harshness, blood and flesh, but, for me, the atmosphere was there.