View Single Post
Old 25th March 2013, 11:01 PM
Cult Addict

The Island.

Michael Caine plays a journalist and world's greatest dad off top investigate a spate of missing boats in a group of islands near florida only to discover a group of savage inbred pirates that have been isolated from the modern world. I say worlds greatest dad as caines character lets his son read playboy, buys hin a .22 pistol and takes him off in search of the murderous pirates leading to his son becoming kidnapped, brainwashed and ultimately a killer!
I can see why the film wasnt a big success, tonally the film is all over the place, the opening feels like the hills have eyes on water, with even more eye popping brutality, but then when we get introdued to the pirates they seem....well kind of silly... certainly David warner, michael elphick and tinker from lovejoy failed to elicit any real sense of fear from me. That said the films still entertaining and worth checking out nontheless.

Highlander 2: Renegade edition.

Of all the pointless sequels in the world, Highlander 2 was always the most pointless for me. The film had f*****g ended perfectly, and adding a whole nother lair to the back story, in this case the the immortals are time travelers (or aliens?) and the earth is the future, as soon as more immortals turn up the whole thing kicks offf again. It all feels like a desperate attempt at writing the film out of a corner. Theres some bizarre segways into pantomime humour and michael ironside feels like he's simply doing the worlds worst Clancy brown impression.
The extended and re-edited renegade edition is still a bad film, but its more enjoyably bad, this time round I got to at least enjoy some of the great pre-cg effects work, virginia madsen is hot and the whole silly mess feels like the product of some hollywood execs coke binge that got way out of hand. Idiotic fun.