View Single Post
Old 31st March 2013, 12:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

HOME MOVIE - 'Found Footage' type affairs aren't usually my bag, but I thought this was quite good. A camcorder charts the violent breakdown of a young family. The initially likeable parents are in fact raging narcissists, so no wonder their objectified, silent children go on a murderous rampage. Some scenes manage to be both funny and harrowing - the scene at the thanksgiving dinner table, for example. Other aspects stretch credulity - the psychiatrist mother conflates her familial and professional roles in order to treat her children medically, whereas no-one in that position would take such an unsophisticated approach. Still, pretty disturbing viewing on the whole.

THE PSYCHO LOVER - Gonzo trash from yesteryear which could only come from SWV. A Spock-like psychiatrist with a ridiculous car is on the tail of a serial rapist whilst conducting an extra-marital affair and harbouring a hidden agenda of his own. It swerves from sickly exploitation to a weird riff on the Manchurian Candidate and ends in death by television. Quite an oddity.

DEADLY WEAPONS - More SWV, more oddity. Chesty Morgan wants to kill the mobsters who double crossed her boyfriend with her grotesquelly outsized breasts. I think that's all there is to say really, apart from, if you're familiar with the work of Doris Wishman, you'll know what to expect - a feverish collage of off-kilter angles, shots of feet, strange mind games issuing from paintings and decorations... don't press play if in doubt of own sanity.