View Single Post
Old 8th April 2013, 07:27 PM
Cultist

Saw it at a press show today. Was really excited after the initial teaser and avoided ALL other trailers / featurettes etc, which I'd advise as that trailer already took the sting out of several key sequences.

It's going to be this year's Prometheus - many will HATE it, despite some undeniably excellent stand-alone moments. Alot of it is just too stupid, it messes with the mythos in a really daft way, the acting and script are pretty dire (don't get me started on the way the deadites - if you can call them that - act, look and talk), and some of it feels more like an Exorcist remake than Evil Dead.

They have stuck to their guns with the non-CGI gore though - it's not quite as impressive as I'd hoped (curious to see if much has been cut from the UK one in the same way as the US R-rated cut), but judged on its own terms it has a good few intense sequences. It's not very scary though, and feels too polished in some regards and too much like a straight-to-video title in others.

I'll go see it again with friends when it's out, should be a laugh with a crowd, but I'd say to anyone who (like me) has got their hopes up from the teaser etc - lower them and you should enjoy it, just don't expect it to blow you away. It's firmly in the 2003 Texas Chainsaw remake category for me - technically impressive in many places but just doesn't 'get' the original vibes right and falls way short the further it goes along.