View Single Post
Old 16th April 2013, 06:39 AM
digitopolis

It does play with giallo conventions but only around the beginning with the detectives. I feel that for most of its run-time, it's more of a dark fairy tale with much emphasis on the evil presence that emanates from within the academy. We're not concerned with who or what killed Pat because we pretty much know it's the school. Furthermore, the only clue Suzy comes across are the three irises and she doesn't use this clue until the end so there isn't a whole lot of deducing. Suspiria is definitely a mystery film but it downplays most of the elements that would really make it a 'giallo'. I could go on forever but it'll just get dull and I'm not a genre expert either.

Now onto the topic of gialli in general. My favourite gialli are 'Seven Notes in Black', 'All the Colours of the Dark', 'What Have You Done to Solange?' and 'A Lizard in a Woman's Skin'. I'm also curious to watch some of the 'suspense giallo' films. I've seen 'Perfume of the Lady in Black' which was excellent. I think I might watch 'Orgasmo' and other Lenzi films.