View Single Post
Old 10th May 2013, 09:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
The main point Is there is a difference between film watchers and buyers than film addicts and collectors, and sometimes it is a good thing but if a film is widely available a film buyer will buy any version irrelevant of the company it's just a film they want to them, but a collector will welcome it, but sometimes is there enough fan base of some companies to release some films to get the money back with all the money time and effort cost etc etc, if there is then fair point I agree, just saying that wouldn't a company benefit more by releasing the type of films I mentioned, instead of widely available releases..
Just because something is widely available doesn’t necessarily mean it’s widely accessible. What you propose is all well and good theoretically, but whether it’s practical for a business is something altogether different. How many unknown properties are worth the risk in the market? How worthwhile is it for a company to invest thousands to release a film few have heard of, opposed to a film like The Burning, which has recognition amongst its audience, but no releases in their home territory for years?

Blu-ray is a new format with sales that are growing. The DVD market isn’t growing in the UK. The vast majority of Blu-ray releases have had DVDs in the past, yet people are still picking them up. Arrow, Second Sight, etc aren’t shy of picking up licenses for BD releases of films that are available in other regions, nor for films that have had a wide DVD availability. Doesn’t that indicate something? By your logic I’m pretty sure we’d run out of catalogue releases in the world sooner or later. Of course getting new things, or things with such a limited availability is great, but I genuinely fail to see why that should have any bearing on a company putting out a film like The Burning, hugely mistreated in previous home video formats within the UK, and with no availability in the UK for almost 10 years?

But this is all massively off topic, so I'll not continue further. I think I've made my point pretty clear.