View Single Post
Old 12th May 2013, 08:12 PM
Active Cultist

The Black Panther - Another great release from BFI flipside. Some really great imagery here (the underground scenes are outstanding). I'm surprised this is the only film the director made, because he shows some awesome chops on such a low budget. It's a very no-nonsense depiction of a real life serial killer, almost documentary in it's approach, but still manages to be cinematic.

The Lords of Salem. I've always though Zombie to be a strong visual director, but always found his story-telling, characters and dialogue to be a bit try-hard and at times childish. This however, was a delight. The opening is a little too cheesy, but as this progresses I thought it was a wonderful love letter to Fulci and Argento movies of the 70's and 80's. In fact I'll go far to say this is the movie Argento was trying to make with 'Mother of Tears' but couldn't, for whatever reason, manage. I really enjoyed it and it will get a re-watch sooner rather than later. As I don't often say that about newer releases, it's fair to say I thought this was one of the best movies released so far this year.